Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Life is Full of Distractions

As a native Long Islanders who shies away from the hustle and bustle of New York City, I've yet to ever actually ride a bike in New York City. When I do find myself in the city for leisure purposes and stroll through Central Park, I often think to myself, "Everyone riding a bike today looks so happy!" Then I find myself strolling down 5th Avenue and I think to myself, "All the bicyclists look like they hate themselves."

Since I've been traveling into the city twice a week for the last 2 years, I've noticed all of the distractions occurring at a single intersection, or along a segment of roadway. You have drivers in their private vehicles attempting to navigate along the roadway, you have bus drivers in their buses that somehow never manage to stay in their lane, you have pedestrians totally following the rules of the road by jaywalking because they own the place, and then you have bicyclists that may or may not have a safe right-of-way to ride their bicycles in. After being told a story a few weeks ago by a classmate who witnessed a woman (on her phone, obviously) driving, avoid a bicyclist and hit a little boy, it's become more apparent that riding a bike in the city isn't the easiest thing to do. On my way home this evening, I noticed at least 10 cars double parked in the bike lane. How are bicyclists supposed to stay safe when half the time they can't even use their own designated right-of-way?

Not to mention all the other distractions bicyclists have to compete with such as drivers texting while cruising down the street in their multi-ton vehicle, pedestrians not paying attention when they decide it's their turn to cross the street, those who double park, and massive buses to name a few. So next time someone asks, "Hey Jen, you've lived in New York for HOW MANY YEARS and you've NEVER ridden a bike in New York City? Not even in Central Park?" I'll think to myself, well, I much rather be in control of my own destiny than some distracted driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment